10.26.2009

specialty "MREs"

I found a vender online that sells kosher MREs. Thankfully, they make GF (gluten free) meals as well. Turns out, the Mrs and I have sensitivities to gluten. I'm still doing the whole "elimination" diet thing but I have my slip ups. As a wanna-be homesteader, this actually kind of works to my advantage.

Over the past year, we've been trying to reduce the amount of prepackaged and processed foods in our diets. Once we get the garden going, we'll have even more control over what we ingest. Plus we want to get a dehydrator and learn to can. Don't think we're going all Mother Earth or Conspiracy Theorist, we just want to eat healthier and avoid all the crap and filler. A poor diet can greatly decrease the amount of fun time you have on this planet.

In addition to eating better, I tried the whole exercise bit but it didn't last. I don't mind running but it's not fun. I hate lifting weights or other "gym" type activities. But I do like splitting, chopping and stacking firewood. So, if you need some trees "taken care of", let us know. I need the exercise and the free firewood.

Anywho, back to the MREs. My Own Meals makes kosher, GF and other specialty MRE style meals. Pretty cool since our stock pile of ramen and other instant noodles is now out of my diet. I'll eat them if I have to but I'd rather not.

4 comments:

jumblerant said...

The British Army equivalent MREs - known as 'compo' - are very good. They also have kosher and halal although I'm not sure about gluten free.

They are highly recommended, even if there is no fish 'n' chips option!!

Lucky said...

Finding a strenuous activity you like doing is far better than "working out" in my humble opinion. I've been trying to get a blacksmithing shop set up. An hour or two per day pounding on hot steel is mighty fine exercise.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

When the elimination diet proved my roommate to be gluten-intolerant and myself lactose-intolerant, meals became home-cooked and simple, then grew increasingly complex with time and practice. We started doing a lot of asian cooking, as it lacks both - swap those ramen noodles for rice noodles or bean noodles, and still you can have the same tasty treat.

As for exercise, I recommend doing whatever needs doing. If you're hiking a trail three times a week learning your local plants and foraging edibles, it's still plenty of healthy activity!

red said...

@Jumblerant- I'll look into the Brit MREs and see what they offer.
Welcome from Israel! Do you visit Doubletapper's blog? Good stuff!

@Lucky- I agree, working out seems, well, unnatural. Hard work builds strength and muscle. 'Smithing seems pretty cool!

@Wing & Whim- So far, the diet is definitely helping. We cook a lot of Asian food too. My Stepfather is Japanese, so we get inspiration from him as well. I miss Alaska, no place like it. I spent a month in Juneau Dec of 03.