The Delkevic baffle took all of 5 minutes to install, and it has definitely dampened down the raspy tone. I'd still prefer it to be quieter but I'll take what improvement I can get.
My cheap Trackside USB charger was acting up and I noticed it wasn't charging my "speedo" at all. Turns out this is a common problem. So, I swapped it out for a new one from Amazon that also has a volt meter, then designed and printed a mount. I can't see it while riding, so I may move it to a bar mount in the future.
The jetting saga continues. I've increased the Main Jets to 115 which made some improvement at higher RPM range. Using this handy-dandy guide from Factory Pro, I have a much clearer path ahead. A lot of the carb tuning docs I was reading were for mechanical carbs, not CV. On CV carbs, the main jet plays a much broader part in the overall jetting. Throttle position doesn't really mean much either, so RPM range is more important.
The next step is to increase to 118 and see how that does. If it's still not great, I'll jump up to 120. Then it will be on to tuning the rest of the range if the high RPM range is good.
Stay safe out there.
Long time no blog! Work and life are busy so, that leaves precious little time for wrench twirling. I've been trying to dial in the jetting but it's proving to be difficult. I also used a q-tip, some Brasso, and a drill to polish the float valve seats. This seems to have resolved my weird overflow issue with carb 3. I have yet to be able to recreate the overflow, by hitting bumps or using the test tank.
I used my fancy USB fiber optic camera and checked out the cylinders, really just the piston crown, while I had the plugs out. Number 3 was definitely the culprit.
With the jetting frustration building, I changed direction and decided to do a much needed mod. It's no secret that I hate clip-ons, and my back hates them even more than I do. So, I wanted to switch to dirt style bars like I had on my XJ. However, the Hurricane doesn't have stock holes and the idea of my life depending on bar mount kit, and some fat washers to distribute the weight didn't really sit well with me. So, I started researching alternative ways to mount them. Eventually, I found a company called Moto-CNC out of the UK. The make a "street fighter kit" for 37mm forks. It's a bit spendy at $180 but man, it's a solid piece of kit! I opted for the taller risers to clear the fork tubes, however, due to where the bars "mount", it isn't really needed.
Routing the cables turned out to be pretty tricky. I'm still trying to track down a set of longer throttle cables. I bought a set from a VFR800 but the cable "throw" is too short. Oh well, the stock work well enough for now. The posture is soooo much better now and steering isn't as affected by our crappy roads. These are the Pro-Taper Aluminum Sport bars, with super thick side walls . I can definitely feel a big decrease in vibrations. Thankfully, I didn't need to move my dash panel, or switches. It all worked out well.
I did have to swap out the top front brake hose with a rear hose from eBay . Worked great and will hold me over until I can do braided lines next year . With the front lines flushed and bled, I decided I should probably do the same for the rear .