no progress no updates

I haven't made any progress on my bike for a number of reasons. The missing carb parts never arrived, so I need to track down another vendor. Thankfully, I didn't pay for those, so I only lost time and sanity. Besides the parts, I haven't been in the garage much due to the Mrs breaking her ankle at Parkour Class. A clean break at the head of her fibula. She'll have her cast removed in 6-8 weeks. She's non weight bearing on that leg, so I am currently doing most of the domestic stuff. Keeps me pretty busy.

More news once something happens.


bouncy bouncy

Still waiting on the carb parts, so instead of wasting days, we set out to change the fork seals. I've done fork work in the past on my CB350 and it literally took all day. I was fighting 33 year old seals with nothing more than basic tools and some PB Blaster. Today, went much better (despite a few set backs).

The first mission was to find 15w fork oil and a bolt with a 24mm head. After several stops and no luck, we went back to the shop and did some more research. Turns out the bolt is going to be damn tough to find but a 5/8" will work. So we picked up some all-thread and 5/8" nuts to make a custom Yamaha tool. While digging around for PB Blaster, we lucked out and found some 15w fork oil that Papa-San had left behind.

Super Special Custom Yamaha Fork Tool

My ceiling lift took some adjustment and we finally got a stable lifting method. The front end disassembly went quickly following the manual. That is, until it went way off the deep end and began to contradict itself. A quick google search turned up this great walkthrough.

Now, with clear instructions, the swap was painless.

The old rotten seals and dust wipers.