6.27.2010

colored spaghetti

After battling with my wiring harness for almost 2 hours, I finally decoded the mess. Now, my bike has fully functioning signals, headlight, brake/taillight, gauge lights and warning lights.

My color wire diagram isn't completely correct but using that and the b/w diagram from the manual, I finally figured it out.

When I initially started checking into the harness, I found bare and broken wires, connections to nothing, wires spliced and very lazy tape jobs. I finally had to unwrap the whole harness and separate all the runs. Now, I need to find some dry vinyl tape and re-wrap the harness. I borrowed a label maker and every connection is going to get a letter code so this mess never happens again.

One step closer.

3 comments:

DirtCrashr said...

Yeoman effort on the harness. I swapped a motor in my FZ600 once that was a sheer bitch to re-wire.

red said...

It wasn't fun but I didn't want to drop $75 on one that might not work. I should be able to finish it this weekend, I'll get some pics of the mess.

DirtCrashr said...

Cleaning up a wiring harness is a splendid bit of careful work - to make the machine work at its own best and keep the electrons flowing.