6.15.2020

Project CBR600F: Counting Revs

My agricultural tachometer arrived from Amazon. With the perfect mounting spot in mind, I hit the local home improvement shop for flat stock steel and some hardware. After butchering the stock into a sturdy L bracket, I realized I really should have used a bench grinder and drill press.



I decided it needed a blast of Chevy Orange engine enamel for some flair.  After adding 3 nice coats and giving the appropriate dry time, I promptly dropped the bracket and screwed up the paint in a few spots. Classic.


Waiting for morning while it cures overnight.



Mounted and ready. 



All wired up and ready to be fired up! 



It works!

Luckily there was enough fuel left in the bowls to fire up and prove the little tach works. There is a slight delay compared to an analog or OEM tach.  It's a helluva faster than my factory tach, since it  doesn't work at all.

I received the model without a backlight and was initially disappointed.  However, after some thought, I don't really mind having one less light shining in my eyes at night. Plus I don't really need to know my revs when I'm riding. I ran my XJ without a tach and had no issues with it. I only added this one so I can balance the carbs and set the idle; not concerned with real time readings.

Now, I'm waiting on my bottle of magic blue juice for the Motion Pro Sync tool.  I had planned on using the fancy electronic Carb Mate but it's missing two of the sync hoses and I'd have to sync the carbs in a funky pattern (1&2, 3&4, then 2&4) instead of all four at once.

Once the carbs are balanced and idle set, I can move on to the next projects like replacing the swing arm (plus chain), and rebuilding the fork.  From there it's wiring (lights, heated grips and etc), painting the tank, new tires, and an oil change post SeaFoam. Then it'll be ready for the road. 


1 comment:

Greg Prosmushkin said...

It was just great to stopped by your blog today. I enjoyed going through your many articles and seeing the work that you do. Thanks for sharing. Have a great rest of your day and keep up the good work.
Greg Prosmushkin