8.24.2026

Irbit Express: We all fall down sometimes...

 With a free evening, I decided to tackle the rear wheel swap and a few other items from my To Do list. Since my scrawny arms can't seem to get the Ural up on the center stand, I used the jack that I have stashed in my under tub tool box. Using the center stand as a jack point, I got the bike lifted up and started following the instructional video. Like I did with the Hurricane, and the Ducati, I used the bike tool kit. As I pulled the rotor off the pusher wheel, I noticed one bolt was much more difficult to remove than the others.  So, a ham fisted previous owner chewed up some of the threads. Thankfully, I still have my handy old Harbor Freight tab/die set and managed to clean up both the bolt and the hole. 

All was going well...until I put too much forward pressure on the bike and it rolled off the jack. In my many years of wrenching, I have NEVER had a vehicle fall of the jack (because I freaking used jack stands, except for this time) but today was my day.  

So, now I had a new challenge to tackle. I wish I would have gotten pictures of how I managed to get the bike back up and on stands.  I managed to lift the bike from the sidecar frame, then got a scissor jack on the bottom frame, between the engine and the left exhaust. However, I couldn't get the leverage using the jack wrench. As I laid under the bike, sweating and thinking, I came up with the idea of using my drill with a 3/8 socket adapter, and used a socket to (slowly) turn the jack, and then raised the floor jack, rinse and repeat until I had the bike high enough to get 2, yes 2, jack stands under the bike.  So, with the additional support, and the front brake secured, I was able to get the spare wheel installed without further issue. 

With that task complete, I moved on my next mods. I've been taking the Ural through the drive thru at various fast food places and shoving my drink into the spokes of the spare wheel doesn't work all that well. So, I decided my rig needed a cup holder! 



I didn't want to drill any new holes in the tub, and I thought about mounting it on the fuel can holder but I didn't feel like doing that either.  So, I used one of the tonneau cover mounts and a longer bolt. 

Next was new straps for the tail bag I bought to help keep my oldest stable on the bench seat since my two kiddos refuse to ride in the tub together.  Granted, it is a pretty tight squeeze, so I get it.  This is the second bag I bought for this purpose.  The first was larger than I expected, this one is prefect, except for the straps which were sewn in an H pattern and needed to route under the seat.  When I don't have the bag on, I don't want straps flopping around and they're a pain to remove. So, I ordered some bulk nylon webbing and made my own straps with loops to go around the frame rails.  They aren't pretty, but they are sturdy and will work fine. 



The next task is to change the tire and tube on the spare wheel, as well as clean up and check the spokes. I'll replace them if I can find the right size. 

Stay safe out there (comrades)! 


No comments: