7.03.2010

that's a wrap (huh huh huh)

It took two attempts at wrapping the harness. First time around, I included the coil wires and left out the oil pressure wire. Ooops. Thankfully the wrap works great, re-used all of it. Plus, I found another broken wire. The harness is installed and everything (except the coils and horn) tested ok.

Tomorrow, I'll be boiling the air intake boots in a mix of wintergreen oil and water. We used this for carb boots a few years ago and it worked great. Hopefully this will get the 77's airbox installed and sealed up. I'm trying to sink as little money as possible into this project. I want to get it running and make some cash.

The big question is, do I pull the 4 into 1 from the 77 and install it on my bike or do I use the stock pipes that we have lying around? I'm leaning towards the stock pipes, they have a great sound. But the Kerker is freaking sweet too.


What do you think?

6 comments:

Surly said...

What's the ratio on the oil to water mix for the rubber boots? I've got some I need to do when I get around to it.

red said...

I used 1 fl oz of wintergreen oil but most people say to use 4 w 1/2 gallon of water. It seemed to work just as well.

Gymi said...

That's a tough one. I think I would go with the stock pipes. I have always loved to look of those four upswept pipes. The four into one have a great sound too, but in the end I would not be able to get past the look of the stock ones.

red said...

I agree Gymi. I decided to go with the stock pipes. It will take some fab work but that's part of the fun. I wish they weren't so heavy but it's a good trade for stock sound and looks.

Tam said...

Sigh... I missed the vote, but I just love a 4-into-1 and a Yosh can on a vintage UJM; it's very evocative of the ratbike sporters that were still cool in the mid-'80s when I first got into bikes.

red said...

Tam, you might be in luck. Turns out I can't find a decent running engine and my parts are on backorder for "awhile". So, the 77 CB750 we were going to sell might end up staying in the garage as a donor for my bike. Might get to hear that 4 into 1 after all.