8.22.2022

Project CBR600F: Printing pads and hunting leaks

After an extended ride (for me at least) on Saturday, which involved some rain, and some highway testing, I noticed my shifter had chewed up my newish boots.  The bottom edge of the shifter pad had torn through, so I priced some replacements, then realized I could just make my own and save time and money. 


I don't think this is factory Honda work. 


A little reshaping.


15 min in TinkerCAD


Some time later... 


Perfect!

So, let's go back to leaks.  Leaks have plagued this bike from the start.  Remember project LoL (Lots of Leaks)?  Well, I still have 2, one I thought I fixed and one is new.  The shifter seal is actually leaking worse than before I replaced it. So, during my ride on Saturday, I picked up a new one and plan on swapping it this week. The new mystery leak, is coolant.  Just a dribble on the garage floor, under the stator cover, with a drip hanging off.  However, I cannot find a source.  I pulled the tank and looked but the only thing I can think of is that it's from a hose and ran down on to the top of the crankcase, then down the side to the lowest point, the stator cover.  I topped off the radiator, and will burp it in the next few days, then continue to monitor for leaks.  

I was worried it might be head gasket related, not for any reason beyond my generalized anxiety, so I pulled out my fiber camera and checked inside the engine. Oil looks good, no milkshake of death, and inside the radiator overflow looks good too. 






Stay safe out there... 

2 comments:

red said...

Looks like the leak may actually be coming from the overflow tank. Continuing to monitor...

red said...

Turns out, the leak is coming from the high pressure hose, from the water pump, to the engine block. After my trip, when I came out to unpack my bike, I found a larger qty of coolant, and could follow the drip path to the source.