5.14.2019

Project CBR600F: Making Progress

Over the past few weeks, I've managed to make a little progress.  I tracked down a replacement thermostatic switch and got it installed.  It's a direct Honda replacement, so it should work properly now.  If not, I guess I'll just hardwire it.

The new clip-ons are mounted but I need to drill holes for the control studs.  On my XJ, I went the lazy route and ground them off.  Turns out, it's really annoying to have switches that rotate when you use them! The brake master cylinder is at a pretty good angle.  At first I was going to replace it but I've been doing some Googling and it may be ok, we'll see.  I'm waiting on my grips, clutch lever and heated grip kit, then I can button up the controls.



Today, I got the oil cooler mounted and the lines routed. A rhyme!  The lines are just zip tied to the frame but it works.  I didn't have any flat stock that would work well but when I removed the horn, I realized it's mount was made of 3-4 pieces of flat spring steel.  Score!  The mount got recycled for my oil cooler.







With a Herculean effort, I managed to remove the old carb boots.  They were rock hard and split.  A few came apart in pieces.  Glad I found a set on Amazon.  They aren't OEM but at least they're soft rubber!



Next garage session, I'll get the intakes cleaned up and the new boots installed.  I still need to do the valve service but that will require more than an hour. Perhaps that will be my Father's Day project!


It's nice to have space to work again. 

3.27.2019

Project CBR600F: Once Piece at a Time

This past weekend, I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours in the garage.  Most of that time was spent removing the cocoon of cardboard and recycling from around the CBR, and putting my tools away from various projects over winter.

Once that was complete, I rolled the CBR out of it's alcove, pulled the seat and tank so I could get a good look at what chaos I was in store for.  I started out by installing the starter/pulse generator cover and getting the wiring routed appropriately.


Thankfully, the unit I scored from eBay managed to include all the bolts (plus 2 spare!) and a usable gasket.  The previous PO (the guy who stuffed this bike into a ditch) had just cut the wiring from the old cover, so it took me a little bit to find it's connector mate.

Next I was able to pull the shattered thermostatic switch from the radiator. The fan had been hardwired to run all the time.  I plan on putting it back to the proper set up.  With the radiator mounted, I realized it is missing the oil line brackets.  A quick search on eBay and a set are on the way.  On the topic of the oil cooler, I will need to fabricate a way to mount the oil cooler off of the radiator.  It used to mount to the sub-frame that I will not be using.

The rest of the progress was little things like the battery box, passenger pegs (in all their 80's white paint glory), radiator lines and reconnecting the harness.  I still have a laundry list of parts I need to order but my budget doesn't match my needs right now.  Hell, I still don't have the title but it's not like I'll be riding it this season.

















1.22.2019

Project CBR600F

Look out!  There's a new project in town.

My garage now houses a 1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane.  I purchased it from my cousin's boyfriend who bought it last year as a first bike and project.  Having no tools, no time and no place to keep it, he finally gave in and sold it to me for what he paid.  I figured, it's cheap, has potential and already lives in my garage, so why not!

It's had a hard life, passed from owner to owner, subjected to abuse and neglect.  There isn't a single piece of plastic on her and all the lighting is gone or broken.  Thankfully, the wiring harness appears to be intact.  It needs a good once over, including a valve check (thankfully, they are screw/nut adjusters).  I have no timeline for having her on the road, as this is definitely a back burner project.


I see some ratty potential! 


The radiator and oil cooler will need some new mounts fabbed up
since there will be no subframe used. 



Getting ideas on fabing a mount. 


Future home of an oval LED tail/brake light and some blinkers.


For gauges, I'll probably go with an Acewell all-in-one unit and make a box for the power outlets and other various warning lights. Another option is the Vapor from TrailTech but I like the aesthetics of the Acewell.  I learned my lesson on the XJ, if I use an LED backed gauge, the backlight feed is going on a dimmer so I'm not blind at night.

It feels damn good to have a bike again, even if it's a long term project.