4.20.2020

Project CBR600F: The Quarantine Chronicles

So, it finally happened. 

I finally got time, no, finally made time to put hands to the carbs.  A quick refresher, the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt but suffered severe leaks at the fuel T.  I replaced those o-rings and then the bowls leaked.  With new bowl gaskets in, I decided to just bite the bullet and replace the remaining 33 year old o-rings for the fuel overflow and the mystery silver tubes (vacuum?) while I had the carbs off again.  This was all late last summer.  

With the family having quiet time, I seized the moment and grabbed the the carbs and needed tools.  I've never broken a part a bank of 4 carbs and I have heard horror stories and seen first hand, the frustration this can cause when my buddy rebuilt his CB750 bank.  I laid out some cardboard, took a deep breath, found my moment of zen, and got to work.  



There is so much linkage, so many tiny springs. 





I removed the choke linkage and did my best to keep the two middle carbs in place.  I was able to replace the o-rings on the mystery silver tube (vacuum related?)  but the o-rings on the overflow port were still pliable and in relatively good condition.  






When I replaced the o-rings on the fuel T, I bent one of the tiny throttle assembly springs, so I had to do my best to replace it with one from a set of donor carbs I received.   It wasn't much fun. 



I got the bank all back together and thought, "That wasn't so bad." Queue suspenseful music... I found a spring that got left over.  Dammit.  Eventually, everything was reassembled with no extra parts remaining.  



A friend recommended placing the carbs output side down on a sheet of glass and using the level surface when tightening down the mounts.  Worked liked a charm! 

Now, to put them back on the PVC rack and hook up the test tank to check for leaks.   Maybe that will happen next weekend.

2 comments:

red said...

I forgot to mention, I finally got to use my JIS screwdriver! It's almost as if it was made for the stock Honda carb screws...oh, wait, it was!

red said...

Also, the dirty carbs are my donor set for various bits and pieces, not the set I cleaned and rebuilt.