10.19.2020

Project CBR600F: Swingin' Cycles

 One of the many previous owners of the Hurricane somehow managed to dent the left side of the swingarm, right along the tensioner slide.  To make matters worse, instead of fixing/replacing the swingarm, they cut the chain a few links short to compensate!  


I ordered a replacement from a junkyard earlier this year and installed some ring mounts on the crossmember above my garage to hang the bike from.  I used the same method on my XJ to replace the fork seals. While it's obviously not as stable as an actual bike stand but it gets the job done.  



The replacement process is simple, unbolt, remove, regrease, replace, torque to spec.  Easy peasy.  I went fancy with my chain and chose the gold plates, classy.  However, my chain didn't include the rivet style master link.  Which is ok because I don't have the rivet tool.  Thankfully, I did have a clip style master link in my parts bin.  Got the chain cut to length (55 plates x 2 = 110 links)







I did manage to get out on a test ride (after a mysterious fuel leak, probably a stuck float) and found out cylinder 2 isn't firing.  I'm going to start with new plugs in all cylinders, I don't recall changing them previously.  If that doesn't resolve it, time to check fuel and compression.  From the test ride, I did learn that I really don't like low clip-ons.  I found a set with 1" of rise, they'll be here this week; however I'll probably swap them out for actual bars. 


stay safe out there.... 

No comments: