8.05.2024

Project Ducati: Letting go, and Maintaining Balance

 Saturday morning, I woke up early to get out some tools a coworker needed to borrow, as well as hand the Hurricane off to it's new owner.  Once that was complete, I planned on balancing the carbs and putting some miles on the Duc before I had to meet up with my kiddos.  

Adios Hurricane, you were a good bike and kept me sane during the pandemic. 

Coffee, breakfast, and wrenching. 

.
Nipple.




Be careful, there are 2 screws, one is the idle, the other is balancer.

Perfetto! Nice and balanced.

There was a small hiccup before I could balance the carbs.  I told R., the new Hurricane owner that he could ride the Duc.  But when I hit the start switch, I got nothing.  Not a whine, buzz, whimper, or crank.  Well, shit.  Electrical gremlins again.  After he left, I grabbed my multimeter and tested the switch, all was well.  So, I grabbed an allen wrench, uncovered the starer selonoid connections and ZAP she fired up!  One more part to replace.  But after some internet sleuthing, this appears to be rather common on the 900SS and M900, mainly due to the connector coming loose.  It happened again later in the day, and I wiggled the connector, it started.  One zip tie later, it's "fixed".  

I rode to the gas station, filled her up with petrol and took a quick ride.  Man, I love the feel of this engine.  It reminds me of riding vintage twin cylinder bikes with my friends back when I first got into riding.  Bikes like this have character, a soul if you will, which is something I find lacking on new bikes. They're just to clean and smooth, I like the visceral nature of this bike and engine.  You never feel the bike disappear beneath you, it's always there reminding you. 

I replaced the crank turning tool access cover with an oring I ordered off of Amazon, 10 pack for less than the prices of the Duc oring including shipping.  We'll see if this holds up to the heat.  




Stay safe out there. 

No comments: