7.17.2022

Project CBR600F: Pack it up, pack it in. Part 1

 My 108 main jets have arrived, but I have yet to install them.  My wife injured her knee last week, so I've been busy to say the least.  Thankfully she should be ok in a couple of months, but it definitely wasn't pleasant.  I'm not comfortable taking the chance of something happening to me while she's out of commission, so the bike is back in the garage waiting patiently. 

During this down time, I plan on increasing the mains. I've also been thinking about mounting my old top case (Pelican that was on my XJ), as well as the matching case, as a set of side panniers on the CBR.  I have mixed feelings about hard cases.  But as I was trying to mock up the mounting, I broke my license plate mount (one of my first 3d prints).  Since I have to undo a serious amount of harness wrap and wiring to remove the plate lights, I figured I might as well go all in and do a real mock up.  




I should be able to use the passenger peg frame, as well as the seat mounting points to attach the cases, using some 3d printed spacers and longer hardware.  I'm not concerned about passenger accommodations since I don't ever plan on having someone on the back. 

The cases aren't light, coming in at 6lbs each.  So that's a definite disadvantage over soft cases, but these should give me some additional protection in the event of a smash-em-up, or low side.  But, this poses a problem, since my signals won't fit, and my tail light will be recessed. Originally, I was thinking about cutting the side cases to mount circle LED lights, 1 for brake/tail, and one for signals.  But, I found these on Amazon, and they'll be even better, on mounted vertically on each case. 


So, I might as well get some stuff done!  Lights should be here later this week, the new plate mount is printing right now.  That will just leave wiring, printing spacers, drilling holes and mounting.  Wish me luck! 


Stay safe out there. 

No comments: