7.03.2022

Project CBR600F: IT'S ALIVE!

 Even with the stock exhaust, it was still running too lean.  So, I ordered an OEM style air filter from Emgo to replace the K&N.  After a bit of delay, the filter arrived, and it was a bit better but still not right. 

 So, I stood there and pondered why in the hell it's still running like crap, even back to fully stock jetting.  Was it not fuel/air related? Is this a failing coil?  Is the bike cursed?  Am I destined to never have a running motorcycle again?  No, wait.... this bike used to have full body fairings, two snorkels with internal pre-filter things.  Key words there are used to. The fairings have been gone for who knows how long, but the snorkel, I removed that to make room for the wiring bundle.  That's it! The air box is breathing too well. For a quick test, I got some cardboard and painters tape. 


It's ugly, but dammit, it worked! The jetting wasn't perfect, it still had some mid range stumble, and feels a bit lean at full throttle. As I rode around, I started thinking about an old set of docs from a race team in 1987/1988.  They recommend a 108 Main, 35 Pilot, 2.5 on the mixture screw, and 1-3 shims on the needle, for the stock air box.  So, I added a shim, changed the mixture screw, then went back out.  Much better!  Still maybe a bit lean in the main, so I ordered a set of 108s. But it was definitely good enough to ride!


Originally, I had planned, under the assumption that the air filter would fix all my woes, to go moto camping in the southern part of the state.  However, with no real shake down run under my belt, I thought it was best to stick close to home.  A quick phone call for permission to camp on some property next to a soy bean field, a few min to grab additional supplies, and off I went. 

By this time of day, after running all over own, I was starting to realize that this bike may not be ideal for me.  Even with the stock exhaust, it's louder than I like (never really liked the rasp of a high reving 4 cylinder), the knee angle hurts, and the seat, dear gods, to say the seat is awful is being polite.  I'd almost rather sit directly on the engine, at least the nerves would burn away and stop hurting. But, it's the bike I have, so let's hit the road. 


Unfortunately, I couldn't park the bike near my camp site, but I can't complain since it's a free spot with access to clean water.  This was my first time hammock camping, it was a fun challenge to get my spot set up properly.  Definitely different from tent camping! I did miss the space that even my single person tent gives me, especially for all my gear.  I was thinking about making some sort of mesh gear hammock to hang under, to hold my stuff off the ground.  








The overnight low got about 10 degrees cooler than originally forecast.  I brought a light camping blanket, but even wrapped up, the backside of my body was pretty damn cold.  Way colder than I expected.  I got some sleep but it wasn't a great night.  So, I ordered a hammock under quilt, while drinking my morning coffee.  Part of me thinks a rough night of sleep like that, due to discomfort, maybe isn't too bad for you.  Perhaps it can put a goodnights sleep back into perspective? 

After packing up, I headed home, I double checked the grounds, thanked my hosts, and hit the road.  It was already hot, so I stopped for a brief snack at a local park, and enjoyed the shade.  Oh, I finally broke down and bought summer riding gear.  The heat isn't so bad with a kevlar lined riding pants, and a mesh jacket!  I also soak my buff neck wrap in water, to help keep cool.  ( I do this for mowing the yard too.). 




The mains should be here this week, when they arrive, I'll print the proper plug for the airbox.  The process of getting this bike back on the road has been an adventure to say the least.  I've learned a lot, and it feels damn good to be back on two wheels, and to have finally got a project operational instead of giving up.  I do keep thinking about getting a more adventure appropriate bike, but if you make payments on something, it owns you.  I own this bike, both from a financial stand point, as well as dedication, blood, sweat, and tears. 

Stay safe out there. 


No comments: