9.19.2024

Product Review: VHT Nite Shades Spray on Tint

 I had been rolling around the idea of ordering a tinted windscreen for the Ducati but they're a bit pricey when they pop up on eBay, and typically arrive from overseas adding to the overall cost.  My original DIY idea was to use something like Plasti-Dip, then I found the VHT Nite Shades spray on tint, typically used for tail lights.  A local auto parts store had one can left, $25 later my project had begun.  


Surface prep is the key, and while I know that fact, sometimes my eagerness overrides it.  I did clean the inside of the windscreen prior with window cleaner and let it dry fully.  But a few wipe downs with alcohol would have been a good second step.   

The application isn't much different than using any other rattle can paint.  Thin layers, with time to dry between (approx 10 min).  It looks terrible at first, but it will get better.  To clarify, I only painted the inside of the screen. 



First coat

This blobby texture will go away.



I think I applied 5 coats total.

I let it cure for about 4 hours, then tested. It was dry to the touch and didn't peel or smudge. There are a few spots that are light than the rest, and one weird line that wouldn't coat but you can't see it from the outside. 

I'm very happy with the results, and maybe I will be able to see the dummy/warning lights during the day now. 







There are a few more reviews on the way, in the meantime, stay safe out there. 

No comments: