9.25.2024

Project Odd Duc: Busting Ghosts and Gremlins

 Well, I certainly learned a lot about carbs over the last week.  As mentioned previously, the H cylinder was barely running during the idle circuit but operated fine over about 1500rpm.  I swapped the coils, the ignitors, tested the pick-ups, and replaced the plugs.  No change.  Then I balanced the carbs again. Nothing.  Pulled the carbs, cleaned again, and cleared passages with compressed air.  Verified my jets, checked all o-rings, and the diaphragm.  Still wouldn't run on the H cylinder only. 





Once again, using some random part I saved, to plug the crank case breather hose inlet.

I decided to keep the oil separator box, and just add a breather.

I decided to broaden my web searches and start reading about the mixture screws since it was the only thing left to adjust. Eventually found a few posts on Triumph Rat regarding enrichening the carb until the idle starts to drop, then leaning out a bit.  Interesting....

See, all my previous bikes that actually ran, were inline four cylinders and I always set them back to factory mixture settings assuming they need to be the same.  Well, that's just not the case.  I fired up the Duc, enrichened the H cylinder carb and I'll be damned, it worked.  I could pull the plug wire from the V cylinder and it ran!  I threw in some fresh plugs and went out for a ride.  

Afterwards, the plug on the H cylinder looked about perfect, but the V plug was a bit rich, so I leaned it out about a quarter turn.  I also noticed I have leaky valve stem seals.  While that is supposed to be a quick and relatively easy job, it will have to wait until I pull the engine and do all the top end seals. 



The other day, I reached out to my friend in CT, aka Mr. Wizard and asked for his input on what I had learned about mixture screws and if them being at different ratios was indicative of a carb issue. He said, most multi-cylinder bikes actually rarely have them all at the same setting! *MIND BLOWN* I guess my inline fours were just compensating enough that I never noticed.  Crazy. 



Ride to eat, eat to ride.

Never stop learning, and stay safe out there. 

No comments: