6.19.2022

Project CBR600F: Getting back to how things used to be.

 The 120s aren't really much better.  I rode to work on Friday, rode over lunch, and took the long way home.  The drone of the exhaust gave me a headache, somehow resonating inside my helmet, even with ear plugs.  This project is no different than those in the past... You hit a point and a little voice says, "Just stop.  Shove this piece of shit into the shed, let the mice move in, and buy a new bike.".  

    I decided to humor that voice, and checked out what CycleTrader had.  Found a nice XB12X Ulysses about 5 hours away, good price, low mileage but logistically, difficult.  Then, I remembered the Royal Enfield Himalayan and checked our local dealership, who had 3 in stock.  And, they had a Ural Tourist for a great price.   I borrowed a buddy's Gear Up 5 years ago, and absolutely loved it.  My oldest remembers it fondly and often asks when I'm going to get one.  With Saturday booked taking my youngest to a birthday party, I squeezed in time to check out the Ural.  I decided that if they still had it, I was going to put money down and just be done with the CBR for awhile.  All the while, with a backup plan in my head about an OEM exhaust system on eBay that should make this whole jetting situation much easier by returning to stock config.  (Keep in mind, I didn't chose this loud ass exhaust system.)

    The Ural was sold, so I eyed the Royal Enfield.  I like the looks of the Himalayan and it's totally a bike I would ride, but I just couldn't justify the added debt.  I pulled out my phone, and bought the OEM exhaust.  It's crusty and will need media blasted and painted, but I'll take that over jetting.  The exhaust and gaskets should be here by the end of the month.  Until then, I'll keep riding here and there; as the low-mid range jetting isn't terrible. 

  Stay safe out there. 

No comments: