5.30.2021

Project CBR600F: Getting into the wind!

Yesterday, with some more garage time scheduled and the carbs reassembled (sorry forgot to take pictures of the fancy metal fuel T), it was time to test ride again.  The idle stayed stable now that the adjuster had the tension spring installed.  The stutter/surge/stumble was still present around 5.5K through about 6.2K. If I powered through it, or ran the bike higher in the RPM range, it did much better.  Hmmm... sounds like the pilot (aka fuel mixture) screw needs to be adjusted.  When rebuilding the carbs, I set it to factory spec, 2.5 turns out.  However, this bike has a K&N air filter, and a full Delkevic exhaust system without a baffle.  So, that may require some adjustment.  


Out in the real world, running errands. Leaky fork seals and all.


Your handsome author and human safety cone!


I thought I was running the RPMs high (around 7K), until I checked the stock tach. 

Later that night, I drained the carbs, pulled them and loosened the bowls so I could adjust the pilot screws.  This being an 80s bike, the mixture screws have limiter caps to keep people from fiddling with them and cocking up the delicate balance set to meet the EPA requirements. It takes a torch and time to remove them, so I just pulled the bowls instead. 


I'm not sure how Honda expects a person to adjust these while the carbs are on the bike, and it's running. Rumor has it, there is a Motion Pro tool that you can use, but you can't have the limiter caps.  Since I already turned the screws out to 3 turns, from the stock 2.5, I'm just going to do some test rides and see how it runs.  If it needs further adjustment, I'll probably pull the limiter caps. 

As you can see from the errand pic, I'm still riding with leaky seals.  The parts haven't arrived yet, so I'm making do. It's not terrible but it will definitely be better with some dampening! I noticed under heavy braking, my oil cool rubs my front tire.  If that continues after getting the forks to spec, I'll have to make a new mount. 


**UPDATE**
Tried a test start today and there's still fuel coming out of 3/4 overflow.  This stopped when I balanced the carbs yesterday but didn't seem to let up today. I'm going to pull the carbs, check all the jet sizes, check the float valves, and replace the floats with a set from my donor carbs. I might actually just test them on the rack this time.  


No comments: