5.22.2021

Project CBR600F: Less Leaks, More Test Runs!

 I started the day off by verifying spark on cylinder 3.  It looked fine, after I reseated the plug wire into the coil, repeated that for cylinder 2.  With that done, it was time to get some fresh fuel.  Test tank hooked up, bike idling to running temp, time to bust out the super fancy CarbMate electronic balancer.  


So far, it's been holding it's fuel, and the coolant leak is pretty minor so it will get resolved once the current host of issues is resolved.  The balancer is super easy to use, so I was done in no time.  Probably should have taken pictures.  With a somewhat proper running motorcycle, I geared up and took her out for a spin.  A few times while out, I had to turn up the idle.  Once on the way home, the bike stalled when I pulled in the clutch.  When starting it up again, the idle was low.  I thought I may have lost cylinder 3 again, so I headed home to temp check.  Ran fine on the way home, and all 4 were firing.   Time to go back out! 


On my last run, had to adjust the idle again but it didn't die this time.  It did however, develop a surge, or stutter around 5K rpms.  I brought it home and parked it. Did a spray test later, and found a leak around carb 1.  The carb boots are new, as of 2019 but I ordered a replacement set anyway.  The fork seals are on the way too.  Found out I can print a fork seal driver, so I'll be doing that once my headlight bucket is done printing. 


So, we're making progress and damn it was good to get out on two wheels, even just for test rides.  It runs strong and is damn nice too ride.  Will be even nicer when the forks don't bottom out! 

No comments: