7.18.2024

Project Ducati: Keeping Time

 With the Honda being stuck in limbo until I get my new rad cap on Friday, it was time to finally do the belts and valve service.  

A friend graciously passed his 2v Ducati tools along to me a few weeks ago.  After a quick run to pick up a bolt for the engine turning tool and a length of all-thread to use in addition to my ceiling straps to secure the bike, it was time to get working.  

The belt change was really easy.  Once I had the engine set for horizontal TDC, I refreshed the marks, added a second to each cam gear and loosened the tensioners.  The vertical belt was a bit of a struggle since there was tension on the cam gear, but using the belt and sheer determination, I got it set back in alignment and the belt slipped on.  The horizontal was no issue. 

This makes life much easier, but my stuck clutch plates don't.






This is the last belt these tensioners will see.


New belts with proper tension.

Another thing I purchased from eBay was a bag of hardware from a torn down 900SS, it was a great deal for $25.  I replaced any mangled or rusted allen bolt I could from my hardware grab bag.  One day a full set of stainless bolts will be obtained, maybe when the engine is nice and pretty after powder coating.

I finally managed to track down the float valve seat assemblies to replace the two I broke, after emailing multiple eBay vendors, carb shops, and our local Ducati dealership.  However, two problems....  1. I accidentally ordered 2 sets from two different vendors.  2. One vendor is in the Netherlands and the other Australia.  I guess we'll see which one gets here first, and it won't hurt to have a spare set.  Although, I am STRONGLY considering a set of FCR39 flat slides, instead of the DSG and Stage 2 tune for the TDI wagon.  But we'll see. I think I'd like to just ride the 900SS stock for a while, but man do those carbs and open air box sound good. As my friend that gave me the Duc tools said "They sound like how Cate Blancette looks in Thor: Ragnarok".  


In the meantime, I needed someplace safe to store  my nice, clean carbs.

I moved on to the valve check but it was late and my brain was struggling at this point. My horizontal openers are within spec, but I was struggling with depressing the closer and checking the clearance.  I'll need to try again, or, ideally, have a second set of hands. 


This project needs a catchy name until it's road worthy, like how the Hurricane was Project LOL (lots of leaks) for awhile.  I kinda like Project: Secondhand Duc, but I'm open to suggestions (not like anyone else is reading this).  


Stay safe out there. 

No comments: