7.10.2024

Project CBR600F: Soup is good for you!

 The Hurricane had some plugged pilot jets that were driving me nuts, as well as a loose plug wire at the coil.  Finally, it's starting like it used to but still overheating.  I replaced the radiator recently, due to boogered up threads on the one that came on the bike.  The fan was not coming on (again), so here I am, thinking maybe it's the thermostatic switch again and trying to find the correct one.

I took the bike out over lunch, put some fresh fuel in the tank, and on the way, my temp gauge hit 235+.  I coasted into the gas station, fueled up, and let the bike cool off.  About a mile from my place, the temp was spiking again.  Fan still off.  

Well, time for soup.  


This was pretty fun. I had never tested a thermostat before.

According to my factory manual, it should open at temps over 176 degrees, after a few minutes.  Well, it started to...but not really.  This is all it opened when we were pushing 200 degrees for almost 10 minutes. 


Not even close to the stated 8mm opening.

So, off to Partzilla I went.  The replacement should be here next week, and that SHOULD be the last issue on the Hurricane.  I gave my coworker, what I believe to be, a very good price.  But, funds are tight all around, so we'll see.  If that doesn't work out, I'll be advertising it to the local Mad Max Run hooligans and see what it turns up. I'm gonna miss the Hurricane, but if I keep it, it will just sit (plus, I need the funds for the Duc).  At some point I want to keep a spare bike for visiting friends, but that's not now. 

From the pasta side of the shop, I fired up the Duc last night, using the Honda's battery and some starting fluid. Man, she sounds good!  That poor little battery was struggling!  Lots of Duc stuff is on order.  Going to get it on the road, enjoy riding season, and do the big tear down this autumn. So, it will be belts, valve service, oil change, air filter, plugs, and full systems check. According to the folks at Ducati.ms, my bike doesn't have the failure prone engine studs, so we'll just replace the nuts and address any leaks that come up. 

Still plan on pulling the engine, soda blasting it, breaking it down to replace gaskets, and address the galley plug.  There are talks of powder coating the engine, frame, and wheels.  We can do everything but the frame on our own, that's too big.  This is not a restoration, but rather, a resurrection.  It won't be perfect but it will be functional and mildly aesthetically pleasing.  

I have a modified (you know I can't leave anything alone) front fairing idea, well two of them.  One no fairing with a fixed cluster and neon pink windscreen, and a replacement front cowling (the middle piece) with a cutout for a set of Buell XB headlights. Maybe some thoughts about how to mount my yellow Pelican cases too.  Running and reliable takes precedent over mods. 

Stay safe out there. 

No comments: