7.27.2024

Project Ducati: What's your clearance Clarence?

 With a second set of hands, we were able to check the closing valve clearance.  Thankfully, all valve clearances (closers and openers) were within Ducati specifications.  No tinkering with shims for me, at least not yet.  I've heard from multiple sources that once Ducs hit this type of mileage, the clearances are pretty stable.  Sorry for the lack of pictures, would have needed another set of hands.  Although, I have been thinking about using a remote camera and starting to do video of work in the shop; but video editing is not something I'm familiar with.  

Initially, I thought the valve covers had been installed with gasket material and gaskets, but I think it is just residue from the factory gaskets. Either way, it's been a mess to clean up without damaging the engine cases.  I've been using a little 3d printed piece from a previous project and it's working great! See, that's why you save useful stuff!  With the valves covered up, it was time for new plugs. 



Hmm...going to need to address this as well.

I ran out of new-old hardware, time to buy another bag.

The big delay is going to be those damn carb parts.  That's what I get for being a ham-fisted moron at times.  Slow down, especially when working with old plastic parts.  With the carbs complete, it will be time to sync them with my fancy electric sync tool.  I think I'll gladly trade more frequent service intervals for doing half the work, and that work being easier to access.  

I got the clutch basket cleaned up, and everything installed.  I had printed a clutch holder tool out of PETG.  When I first tried to fit it, I thought it didn't align correctly, however it did fit the basket and hub.  What did not align were the bolt holes, but it worked.



2 outta 3 ain't bad, but it's not ideal.

I was worried about this bolt bending, but it worked.

Single use tool, but it got the job done up to the required 136ftlbs!

Once everything was bolted down, it was time to put in the plates and pressure plate. Under the spring caps, I found 2 small washers, which I don't see on the parts diagram. I don't really see the purpose of them, as you do not crank the springs all the way down, otherwise the clutch would not function.  I need to get a torque wrench that goes down to 5ft-lbs to check the spring bolts. 




Starting to look like a motorcycle again. Who knows, maybe it will be running this week.  Still need to put on the new front tire, and flip the rear.  


Stay safe out there. 

**UPDATE**

Right after I hit publish, I remembered I DO have torque wrench that goes down that low, but in inch-pounds.  And I realized why those washers were there.  So, with each spring assembly removed, washers added, I was able to set the proper torque value. 

One of the many cool vintage tools that have been passed down from my Grandfather.


 



No comments: