7.16.2024

Dueling Projects: Fighting two fronts at once.

 Tonight, I had dedicated shop time, as much as I want.  I had big plans, swap the thermostat on the Hurricane, take it for a test ride.  Enjoy the heat blowing off the new fan, go get some dinner. Then come back, and start on the 900ss.  Well, the thermostat got replaced and off riding I went.  At first, it seemed like all was well, but soon the temps started climbing.  Fine, back home in defeat I went.   

Time to work on the Duc.  Immediately, my eye was drawn to a questionable wad of oddly crunchy electrical tape near the connector for the fuel pump.  I've never found good things under wads of electrical tape, regardless of their texture. This time was no different. As a matter of fact, it was worse. 

Well, that doesn't look good.

Dear gods! What in the hell is that doing under my gas tank!

I noticed that run of wire from the main harness was rather stiff. The harness on this bike is very simple, I could definitely repair that section but I hate mixing colors of wires. So, off to eBay I went to look at replacement harnesses.  They're out there, and not too spendy. Time to add that to the list.

I started breaking down the carbs, and unfortunately ended up breaking the float seat assembly on both carbs.  These are made of the finest unobtainium and apparently only available from the Netherlands.  Immediately, my brain says, "Screw these CV carbs.  You need flat slide FCRs and K&N pod filters!". Now is not the time to amplify the Song of the Sausage Creature, that comes later. The bike must run first, then let the insanity blossom.

Crusty bowls. I think someone tried to use sealant instead of new gaskets.

Dammit. This is what happens when you work too fast.

Using my Dremel, flexible extension, and a nylon wheel, I cleaned up the mating edges as best as I could and blasted and sprayed, and sprayed and blasted.  Finally, they were all assembled, even new diaphragms. Now I just have to track down the parts I broke. 

So, to recap on the Hurricane, that's a new fan, new radiator, fresh coolant, and now a new thermostat.  I can feel (and see) coolant moving, so to the best of my knowledge the pump is functional.  But that fan just doesn't turn on. I tried burping the system but ended up just making a damn mess. Next is replacing the radiator cap and testing again.  

Having two project bikes is no fun, unless you have plenty of spare time and funds.  Gotta get the Hurricane operational and sold to fund the Duc. 


Stay safe out there. 

No comments: